CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 28, 2008

Marriage for all! *Rant

So I have been thinking about marriage a lot the last few months for one reason or another. Two of my friends have announced there engagement. They both have asked me to do something for them. One asked if I would video tape the wedding the other asked if I would make the invitations and RSVPs. I of course said "YES" I will help anyway that I can. I love weddings and I love helping people with them. 


I have always dreamt of my own wedding sense i was a little girl. Originally I pictured myself in a white dress with my Dad walking me down the aisle... Who I was getting married to has always been a blur. Funny to think even as a little girl it was never a man nor a women, but it was definitely someone I was in love with. 

Now I think about my wedding and I know that legally I can't. I can have a commitment ceremony but I can't legally marry  her and have same benefits as a straight marriage...  Love is love, marriage is not something that should be exclusively for the majority.

We as americans came to this country to  get away from religious persecution correct? We wanted a separation of Church and state as well... if I remember correctly from my history and government classes growing up. So why is it now the government can tell me I can't get married because the bible says its wrong. I want the same tax benefits as those who love someone enough to marry. My love is no different then there's, Its just as real! 

I don't care if the government wants to call it a civil union or a marriage. But I want the same rights as everyone else. I can not stand the fact I am discriminated against because I have fallen in love with a women not a man. 

Its just frustrates me. 

4 comments:

chinesetwine said...

You & me both! We'll just keep fighting the good fight until it eventually happens. You are so right on all counts - when did religion in a religious-freedom-founded country take over?!

Schmiddy said...

Rock on, Bird!

Austin said...

Agreed. In a related story yesterday's New York Times ran a ten page (internet pages) on gay marriage of course it only focused on men and made them sound fabulous and counter culture and referenced lesbians as u-hauls so their interests in marriage were not in the story so there is a new rant for you. Rant on Bird, rant on.

Smitty said...

You've fallen in love with a woman? Is she cute? :-)